Sunday 26 February 2012

What's the point of university?

I consider myself a leftie. Not quite a Blairite nor a Cameronite. Just someone who is distinctly sitting on the left side of the fence when it comes to British politics. In fact my leftism would probably positively correlate with my age if I were to draw it on graph, but I don't have time for that.

What I do have time for however, is to read the Daily Wail (more commonly known as the Daily Mail) and before you Guardianistas jump on your high horses, grab your pitchforks and start shouting 'witch, witch'! I don't read it for the (lack of) facts, nor the barely concealed racism. I read it because I believe you should know your enemy. And this enemy of mine published an article yesterday which stuck in my throat. It made my bile rise. It gave me a peculiar sensation which is now causing me to 'vent my spleen'. Here is the article;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106232/Les-Ebdon-University-Bedfordshire-offers-breastfeeding-carnival-arts-courses.html

and it speaks about Professor Les Ebdon (see below)



who has become the head of the Office for Fair Access, a body which gets disadvantaged students into higher education.

So far so good. Wrong! The article then goes on to tear this man's reputation to shreds. From remarking about his dress sense 'with his penchant for shapeless suits and loud ties (betraying a dress sense that's stuck firmly in the world of 1970s acadamia)' to disparaging the fact that the university he presides over (Bedfordshire) came 102 out of 119 in the Good University Guide. I'm sorry but if you are going to rank universities then someone is going to come last.

No, what really annoyed me was their comments on the courses which can be taken at his university - Carnival Arts, Spa Management and Sports Therapy. I believe the common vernacular these days is 'Mickey Mouse' courses.

Well, I am a graduate of one of these 'Mickey Mouse' courses. I did a FDA in Contemporary Acting and a Ba Hons in Contemporary Directing. I am also what you would call a 'disadvantaged student', coming from a poor background. If it weren't for universities like Bedfordshire or Newcastle College (where I studied) then I wouldn't be where I am today, doing an MA at Newcastle University. Therefore my question is;

Does it matter what you study as long as it is applicable and will encourage you to get a job in the future?

Personally I think no. For so many years it has been drilled into us that the point of university is to get a good qualification. But what does it matter as long as we are learning the skills that will help us in our careers. Perhaps what our country needs is somebody like Sir Les Ebdon who will encourage young people to study what they are passionate about, be it Spa Management or Chemistry, instead of constantly being told that because they are disadvantaged they have no hope of making something of their lives.

Discuss.

4 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with you Helen! I got my BA in screenwriting from a US university that doesnt even make it onto the worldwide rankings. While I should have gone to a cheaper school to save money, regardless it's brought me to Newcastle University for my MSc in business. Without that undergrad degree, I wouldn't be where I am today. Everyone needs to start somewhere, regardless of the course or school. The fact that this man is helping provide people with opportunities they otherwise couldn't afford, I say bravo to him! And shame on the Daily 'Wail' for deriding him because of his clothing. That just proves their newsworthiness and credibility...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good points! Many people tend to be so narrow minded. Where would society be without lateral unconventional thinkers?! We need people from all walks of life, all backgrounds and all schools (of life) to have a diverse colourful mass of engaging, smart thinkers and creators that make a difference (many differences!). Everyone deserves a chance, we may say. But moreover: We actually need EVERYONE - 'disadvantaged' should not even be a proper word in modern vocabulary. And if so, it should refer to conventional people, to Daily Mail journalists and to anyone who is not willing to accept and respect people from other backgrounds. 'Disadvantaged' because the different and diverse people that hold the ability to make modern society so interesting, different, refreshing and great are the advantaged ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Helen, as well as Jules and rdlncl. It is appalling that these idiots out there that write for the Daily 'Wail' feel the need to categorise and look down on people. I also come from an underprivileged background and studied Folk music, which in it's pre-honours years was 70% performance based. According to the article, the course that I graduated from would be classed as 'dumbed down'. Yet, like yourself, I am also now studying an MA at Newcastle. It is not about what you're good in life but the fact that you are good at something. How many of these up themselves journalists enjoy spa treatments, football, are involved in advertising, sports or fashion? How is it that someone who sits antisocially developing maths equations their entire lives is any better than someone who actively improves the lives of others through sports therapy, entertainment etc.? You don't have to be super intelligent or well off to make a difference in this world, and it really really pains me to see people assume that chemistry and money are more important than culture and creativity. In addition, how this paper can attack someone with more of an education than anyone else working at that paper for trying to make his difference to the world, I don't know. At least Sir Les Ebdon can go to sleep at night confidently knowing that he is working to improve the lives of others, not providing pathetic trash to obsolescent thinkers in an equally as mediocre publication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative industries education has seen meteoric growth over the last two decades, with a vast number of sub sectoral courses on offer. The rapid growth of these courses have seen them become easy fodder for anyone wishing to knock the state of higher education within the UK and as you mention are often refered to as mickey mouse courses, however, the growth in creative industries education has aligned with the economic growth of this vibrant sector,and at present creative industries in the UK are the fastest growing sector in a recession economy growing at twice the rate of their nearest competitor. Creative industries also account for almost 10% of the UK's exports, employ 2 million people in the UK and add £60 billion annually to the UK economy...not looking very mickey mouse now.

    Now on to the more tricky question of education and industry.....

    Industry values education, and all education whatever the subject matter has worth, however the truth with the cretaive industries is that with a few sole exceptions such as journalism, very few career paths require you to have any type of formal education. A reasonable proportion of people working within the industry either have no degree, or have a degree that has no direct relevancy to their area of work, so there has been something of an undervaluing of creative industries education within some quarters of the sector. Things are changing, and as education aligns itself more with industry need and industry understands the value education has in instilling underpinning skills within potential employees, bridges are being built. However, the fact remains,in this industry you are recognised by your work and your reputation. Education is valued, absolutely, but you're only as good as your last credit.

    ReplyDelete